Pretoria: 3 May 2012. CEO, Mmatšatši Marobe, confirmed today that former Head of Home Affairs and CEO of SANParks, Mavuso Msimang, had accepted the appointment of Chair of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) with immediate effect.
“On behalf of all of our members we are delighted to welcome Mavuso back into the Tourism Industry. The experience and wisdom he will bring as Chair is greatly valued at a time when we are seeking to work together as an industry to improve South Africa’s global competitiveness as a tourism destination and its standing as a strategic pillar of the South African economy”
Msimang said “I'm honoured by the confidence the tourism industry has shown in me and accept with humility the challenging position of Chair of TBCSA. I have no doubt that with the experience and support of the other members of the Board, our objectives will be successfully achieved.”
Msimang has a wealth of experience in the Tourism industry, having served as an executive director of the South African Tourism Board, CEO of SA National Parks, and Chief Executive of KZN Tourism. In addition, from 2007 to 2010 he held the position of Director General in the Department of Home Affairs.
“On the eve of the annual Tourism trade events in Durban (HICA conference and Tourism Indaba), it is reassuring to have such a strong leader actively involved in the industry again” said Marobe.
For further information please contact
TBCSA PR and Communications
Tel (012) 654 7525
082 716 8292
Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) is a member-based organisation, made up of Tourism Associations as well as leading businesses operating in the Travel and Tourism sector. The Council seeks to ensure that the industry is unified and speaks with one voice when engaging relevant stakeholders on macro-economic issues affecting the sector.
Sector associations affiliated to the TBCSA are as follows:
1. AHI – Afrikaanse Handelsinstituut
2. AASA – Airlines Association of Southern Africa
3. ASATA – Association of South African Travel Agents
4. FEDHASA – Federated Hospitality Association of South Africa
5. MTA – Medical Tourism Association
6. NAA –SA - National Accommodation Association of South Africa
7. NOW – National Off-Road Working Group
8. RASA – Restaurant Association of South Africa
9. SAACI – Southern African Association of the Conference Industry
10. SABOA – Southern African Bus Operators’ Association
11. SATSA – Southern African Tourism Services Association
12. SAVRALA – Southern African Vehicle Rental Association
13. SAYTC - South African Youth Travel Confederation
14. VOASA - Vacation Ownership Association of South Africa
BRIEF PROFILE: MAVUSO MSIMANG
Mavuso Msimang has been involved in the successful transformation and restructuring of state-owned enterprises for 16 years. His experience in management at an executive level spans over 26 years and includes involvement in organisations such SA Tourism, SANParks, The State Information Technology Agency (SITA), The Department of Home affairs and Tourism KZN. Msimang’s career goal is to utilise his vast executive management experience to provide strategic leadership and guidance to organisations. He is a non-executive director for the following organisations: iSimangaliso Wetland Park, African Parks Network, Peace Parks Foundation, My Acre of Africa, Blue Print Holdings (Pty)Ltd and TISO Group.